London, 15 September 2022 – Sharp Europe, a major provider of business technology products and services to businesses and organisations across Europe, is setting out its future for further business transformation, as its parent company Sharp Corporation commemorates its 110th anniversary on 15 September 2022.
Sharp Corporation employs over 49,000 people worldwide and is an expert in both business to business and consumer innovation. Its founder, Tokuji Hayakawa, established a metalworking shop in Tokyo on this day 110 years ago in 1912. Later he invented the “Ever Ready Sharp Pencil,” a twist-type mechanical pencil that would become the origin of the corporate brand.
Sharp Corporation has since established itself as a worldwide developer of unique products and technological solutions that have played a key role in shaping the electronics industry with many significant milestones.
- It introduced its first multi-copier in 1972 and celebrated its ‘50 Years of Print’ anniversary earlier this year.
- The company developed the world’s first commercially available 8K monitor and in 2019 launched the world’s first certified Windows collaboration display.
- Sharp is one of the world's largest photovoltaic manufacturers and has been a driving force behind the use of photovoltaic technologies for over 60 years. Over this time, Sharp shipped more than 50 million PV panels and produced 16.5GW of power, equating to a total CO2 avoidance of 179 Mt of CO2.
- In 2020 Sharp introduced its featured Plasmacluster air purifying technology.
- 1964 saw Sharp develop the world’s first all-transistor calculator and delivered an industry-first camera-equipped mobile phone in 2000.
- In 2001, Sharp introduced AQUOS brand LCD TVs and shipped 500 million units by the end of September 2020.
Sharp Europe’s business now offers an integrated range of business technology services, expanding beyond the MFP and display products - by extending its offerings to IT services. Adding to the acquisition of two IT Services businesses - Complete IT in the UK and IT Point in Switzerland – it recently announced the intention to grow the IT services business with further acquisitions to be announced in the next year.
Over the last two years it has invested significantly in new products and services to make this transformation happen. The acquisition of DynaBook, by Sharp Corporation means it now offers an award-winning range of laptops ideally suited for the hybrid workplace. Sharp expects this will see an increase in providing ‘Laptops as a service’ in the coming years.
It also recently announced that Sharp NEC Display Solutions, a joint venture with NEC, has seen a 500% increase in its display business in Europe, with the most complete product range ever, and further growth is expected here.
After 110 years of global innovation, Sharp is now focussed on further transformation across all markets in to the future.
Rob Tung, President, Sharp Europe, says, “I’m honoured to be a part of the Sharp family as it celebrates this historic milestone. Whilst we mark this moment and reflect on the amazing innovations across the world, we are looking forward to even more business transformation and growth here in Europe. We are expanding our offering and developing more innovative products and services to benefit our business customers, as well as society as a whole.”
Sharp has created a 110th anniversary logo as a commemoration and a sign of gratitude for the support from its stakeholders over the last 110 years – the gradient fade from green to blue expresses the company’s transformation since 1912.